Thursday, August 9, 2012

Witness to love

Having to arrive early to see my now-consultant allows me to witness other things... like this woman with four, then five children in the waiting room.  She holds them on loving loose tether, but still, tight enough.  She is amazing to watch.

The woman sits and waits
As I sit and wait.
She waits with two in a double stroller,
A bouncy four year old,
An eight year old.
As I overhear conversation,
Only one is her child.
As she waits
She holds a container
Of Cheerios,
Doles them out
One at a time.
She addresses each child
Individually
And specifically
And lovingly.
I imagine she waits
For the mother
Of the other three.
It turns out
I am wrong.
Her daughter comes out
With the therapist
Just before I am to go in.
The woman leaves,
All five children in tow.
I am amazed.
And I continue
Amazed.

No comments:

Post a Comment