Friday, August 17, 2012

Acupuncture reflection number two


It*s funny.  There is some alternative medicine I will try, and some I probably won*t.  I grew up with a strong bias against chiropractors, for example.  I will probably not try seeing a chiropractor, even though I am 57 and it*s been a long time since I was a child.  Acupuncture, on the other hand, seems different, more open to possible change.  It also occurs to me we never know when we experience the placebo effect.  Probably a good thing.

A younger person I know
Told me yesterday
In a helpful voice,
With a virtual veritable pat
On my head,
I might gain a lot
From the placebo effect
Of acupuncture.
Perhaps.
Perhaps.
Perhaps.
I still wonder
About the woman at the well
And Jesus.
He told her everything
She had ever done
Or at least
She remembered it
That way.
I am aware I remember
Two particular things:
The attention paid to everything
I said
The attention paid to everything
I did not say.

No comments:

Post a Comment