Sunday, August 5, 2012

What is it?

Today was our turn to play coffee hour host following the 10:30 service.  It was also the Sunday those on the Mexico trip hosted a taco bar in the main hall.  Both at the same time.  I was sure no one would show for coffee hour, but they did.  And ate.  There were no cookies left, and a few grapes.  When we got to the taco bar, there was plenty of food left for us.  Not quite manna and quail, but certainly taco shells and chicken (and all the other taco fixings).  I*m sure this all means something, but I hesitate to name that something too quickly.

I stand in the kitchenette.
Again I wonder
Why I am here.
I cut small bunches of grapes
Heap them in a bowl,
Pour pitchers of ice water,
Lay chocolate chip cookies
On a platter.
Today I am coffee hour host.
Today the lessons are
Manna and quail.
Sweet resin covers the camp
Every morning.
Birds descend
Every night.
What is it?
They ask
What could it possibly be?
This is sermon number two
Of a series on John, chapter six.
I am the Bread of Life
He says
Unless you eat of me…
The disciples are confused,
Royally confused.
Here I am
In the kitchenette.
I make coffee,
Place goldfish crackers
In a bowl.
It is my turn to play
Coffee hour host,
Even though there are tacos
In the main hall.
I am confused
About all this food.
What is it?
I ask you
What could it possibly be?
Today again I wonder
Why I am here.
I am confused,
Royally confused.
I pour coffee and ice water.
Clean up the kitchenette.
I go to the main hall.
There are still tacos
Left over.

No comments:

Post a Comment