Sunday, October 20, 2013

Competition

I have several friends and acquaintances who are involved in marathon running.  I have never been much into sports myself.  Still... I am competitive.  It is amazing to me how certain things catch me thinking along those lines.  This is not my preference.  Still, it is part of my reality.
  
My preference
Is to compete with no one
But myself.
Still
When I find myself
With one foot
On the yellow line,
Synapses begin firing
Before the starter*s pistol
Has even been loaded,
Much less fired.
One foot on the line
And the race
Has as good
As begun
Yesterday.
My preference
Is to compete with no one
But myself.
Still
Once a race has been named
It may as well have begun
Yesterday.
It*s as good as finished,
Trophies awarded.
I might still have a chance
To win
Even though winning
Has nothing to do with it
At all.

No comments:

Post a Comment