Friday, October 25, 2013

Do it again

I am slated to preach in a week and a half.  It has been a long time since I preached.  I have been making notes for the last month.  It is not a surprise to me that I have a preaching dream.  Before now, these dreams involved getting ready for a service and losing my notes and forgetting what I had to say.  Kind of like the dreams about arriving in class to find the final exam and realizing I hadn*t studied.  

This dream had me more than ready to preach, but so delighted to hear what my daughter had to say that I wanted everyone to hear it.

Home alone
For an extended weekend
I capture last night*s dream,
Wonder at the feeling
Left behind.
I attended one of my old churches.
My daughter preached at the early service.
I was slated to preach
At the later one.
Sitting in the pew
With my beloved
We smiled together
At our daughter*s words.
You should do it again
I told her,
Do it again.
More people need to hear
What you have to say.
At this church
They now served whipped cream cake
Between services.
My daughter left her sermon
In the pulpit
For another round
At the later service.
We all ate cake.
I woke from the dream
Strangely warmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment