Monday, October 15, 2012

Sleeping


Oversleeping.  Yesterday I blamed it on the weather, the sun failing to show before afternoon.  This morning I have no such excuse.  In fact my mind trips around the difference between oversleeping and all the sleepovers I used to have when I was growing up.  When I get up in the morning, whenever I get up in the morning, the kitchen is still not anywhere near complete.  The house is in disarray.  The coffee pot still lives in our bathroom.

It is a week of oversleeping
As opposed to sleeping over.
Oversleeping has the connotation
Of grabbing extra needed hours
Of snooze.
Sleeping over
Has little to do
With actual sleep,
Only being awake
With others
In the dark
Hushed giggles
An occasional snort
Seeing if the hand of the sleeper
Dipped in warm water
Has the expected consequences.
No
This week all of us
Are  oversleeping.
When we awake
Maybe the kitchen
Will function
If we sleep
Long enough.
Maybe more will be in hand
If we sleep
A long long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment