Sunday, December 8, 2013

Bone-weary

It is the second Sunday in Advent.  Advent - my favorite season of the church year.  It is John the Baptist Sunday.  My New Testament professor always called him JB.  Today I stay home, thinking about John.  The rest of the house has gone back to bed.  We have each had a bone-wearing week. 

We all got up in time
For church.
Separately
We acknowledged each of us,
In particular ways,
Is bone-weary
From the week.
If any one of us
Had said to the others
I will go with you
Rather than
I will stay home
With you
We might be in the car
Right now
Driving to church.
As it is
Even the cat
Has gone back to sleep,
Bone-weary
In his older cat way.
We have yet to hear
From the turtle.
He was not even part
Of the conversation
To begin with.

No comments:

Post a Comment