Saturday, July 30, 2011

Sound bytes

There*s something particularly wonderful about being with people in recovery.   They know they have to take it seriously or they may completely miss out on Life.  They may die tomorrow.  They know (many of them know) they may die tomorrow.  What a privilege to spend time with people who have chosen to grab Life again, to learn something new every day.

The guys at the halfway house are given sound bytes
To chew on
Along with their recovery:
One day at a time
Learn something new every day
Even
Slow down
Let go
Let God.
Sound bytes to chew on.
They stream through my head
Inhabit my dreams.

One of the guys asks me
What I have learned today
I tell him I am newly grateful
To be able to drive.
When I ask him the same question
He thinks a long time.
A long time.
I got up fifteen minutes earlier
This morning.
I took more time before work
And the day went better.
Then he smiled and said
I didn*t realize until I said it out loud
How important that was.

I thought:
That*s two things
The Act
and the Realization
It*s Important.

No comments:

Post a Comment